Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Major in an Area of Discovery

For the Award "Major in an Area of Discovery" one of the requirements is shadowing someone for a day. For Character what type of person would that be?

I  would think that shadowing  a volunteer would count.Like someone who works in a library or a homeless shelter.Or maybe someone who works in the caretakingfield a nurse,a caretaker,a volunteer at a senior center, or someone who works at the animal shelter.

• Thanks 1

You could shadow any sort of volunteer or anyone in a career that must show good character.  You could shadow the pastor of a church or youth coordinator, a nurse, a teacher, etc.  My husband is a financial advisor and he holds people's financial well being in his hands.  Good character is essential to his job.  Think about people around you who need to exhibit good character traits to do well at their job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Dad is a preacher so i figured i would just see how he puts together his sermons or something like that, but someone told me that wouldn't count because I am not going to go into the field of preaching. Would it actually count??? 

• Like 1

Yes because the reason why you are required to do it is so you learn about the career.Even if you don't plan on being a preacher you can still learn about them. 

• Thanks 1

It is not cheating to shadow a parent if their career has something to do with the Area of Discovery.  That is simply using your resources wisely.  Just because you do not plan to be a preacher does not mean you cannot learn how good character plays a role in his job.  The character skills he needs can be transferred to careers in psychology, social work, teaching and so much more.  When you shadow someone for a major award the idea is to see what type of skills/character traits may be needed for a job in this area, not necessarily what that particular career is.

• Thanks 1