COMamabear11

Meetings for large troops

We are thinking of changing charters and there are DOZENS of potential new FG families at our new church. We are on the verge of a huge shift in how we run our troop. Currently, we have 28 kids and three leaders and do everything together. I am also losing my 2 co-leaders! There is a minimum of 160+ new families! I know we won't get them ALL, but the potential for rapid growth is HUGE and I want to have a plan in place.

Any tips? How do you do things?

That is definitely a wonderful "problem" to have! For our families, it has been a big thing to be able to meet at the same location and time so that is something that we have always had to consider. It can lead to some craziness when you have the young ones done with their badge requirements long before the older ones are. Sometimes it would be easier to have the younger ones working on a different badge from the older ones as a way to keep all levels engaged and busy. Of course, you could always make it so the older levels help teach it to the younger ones. We have 3 levels in our current troop and we normally work on the same badge together. So when the preschoolers have finished their requirement, they are allowed to go play quietly. We have at least one parent with each group to work through the badge and then as they lower levels complete their requirements, the parent(s) join the higher levels to help them complete their requirements. This works well for some badges but for others it does not, which is why we are looking into having at least the preschoolers work on a different badge from the older 2. What probably makes our troop different from yours is the fact that we only have three level 2 members and around 4-5 of each of the lower levels. So our level 2 members are vastly outnumbered so it makes for some interesting meetings. haha

• Like 1

Email me and I will put you in touch with troop #144 in PA which is our largest at 52 members and is amazingly well run.  Having enough volunteers will be your biggest obstacle.  A troop can only grow as big as they have volunteers to serve them and a meeting place that can hold them.  Make sure you have committed volunteers in place before growing too fast.

• Like 2