OHmom

Requirements as a Pioneer

My only daughter is a Pioneer Frontier Girl and we use the program as part of our homeschool. Sometimes badge requirements are written in such a way that they are difficult to do as a single member. We're not in any homeschool groups, so getting a field trip scheduled for just us, teaching a younger girl something like a camping skill, or playing a large group game is hard. We try to follow the requirements as closely as possible and might borrow a younger neighbor girl when possible or find a way to go on a field trip with another group, but can we modify the requirements when we can't figure out a way to complete them as written? How to other pioneers handle requirements that are written for girls in a troop?

• Like 2

Modifying requirements is always OK as long as you keep the intent of the requirement. Can't do a field trip? You can usually watch one online. Can't do a group game? Play or invent one that teaches the same skills/concepts with fewer people. Can't find a younger child to teach a skill to? Write down the directions you WOULD teach if you could.

One of the things I love about FG is its adaptability! 

• Like 3

In Frontier Girls we focus on the intent of the requirement.  As long as the knowledge or skill we are trying to teach the girl gets done, exactly how does not matter.  You are always welcome to adapt requirements in any way necessary as long as the core idea gets across.  For example if the requirement says to write a paragraph about something, but your daughter would rather give a short speech, or make an informational poster, that is fine.  The idea is show that you have a full understanding of the subject matter, not to find out how good your writing skills are.  If a Life Skill says to learn to ride a bike, but your child has a physical disability that makes that impossible, look at the intent of the requirement.  The intent is to give the child an independent way to get around that is faster and more efficient than walking.  Using a specialized tricycle or wheelchair would work or for older girls, learning to use the bus system, taxis, or Uber would also work.  Feel free to think outside the box.  

You are also welcome to add any new optional requirements you come up with.  Many times families have local opportunities to learn about specific badges that others may not have and have not thought of.  You are always welcome to add your own optional requirements as long as they teach something valuable about the badge subject matter.

• Like 1

As long as she gets the gist of it. If you wanted you could just substitute the requirement you can't do with a optional or higher level requirement she can do.

We are acting as Pioneers as well, but we are fortunate to have groups nearby that we can join for 'events'.  For example, my daughter is able to participate in flag retirements with other local Frontier Girls troops (it was a ride, but lots of fun) or with her brother's Trail Life troop.  Another opportunity to teach an activity to a younger girl is to create a video and share it on this forum and/or facebook.  As for things like holding a leadership position, that can be another challenge but we have been able to meet that through her 4H groups... so think about what group opportunities ARE available - scouts, youth group, sports teams, etc - and what leadership opportunities might exist in those groups. 

We use badgework as some of our home school as well and often I find that we cover extra areas within a badge or really dig deep into things, so when I'm struggling with a group requirement I do make it a point to step back and look at what we've accomplished overall.  That said, there is definitely value to group activities... so I really try to find/create group options when I am able to, but at the same time realize that we are not realistically able to do it for every badge.

• Like 3

Normally I earn badges by myself and I'll modify it for a single individual. As long as I am learning the skill the field trip, group game, or other activity was going to teach me.

Edited by sarvinnaddi
  • Like 1